View Single Post
Old 05-08-11, 11:08 AM
Scott Thalacker

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mileage total was just under 1300, with not super accurate computers. We did it in 21 days total, including one half rest day (about 20 miles that day, I think). So we averaged about 60 miles a day. In the UP we started doing century days, or close to it every day. From Thunder Bay to the UP, there were many large hills, for the region, so a couple of 40 mile days there (in the rain) were the hardest, by far. We did have a couple of side trips - including jaunts to Whitefish point and Lake Michigan (into the wind all day). As I said before, we were not experienced cyclists before this - my longest ride ever was about 30 miles. We parked our truck at a friend's house in Ashland and rode from/to there; we did this partly because we were living out of a storage unit at the time. Doing it again, I would try to ride from home, now that we have one! It was an adventure that gives me strength every day! If you want any tips about specific stops, I'd be happy to help, but recommend setting out on your own. We didn't really have much idea where we were going after day two. One nice thing about this route is that you don't have to make many decisions about which road to take!