Old 06-05-11, 10:15 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
As I am wont to do: I will defer to repechage on this - though with mixed feelings, as I believe their are other factors at play here besides the obvious ones (i.e. degrees of separation from the original operation). But feel free to disregard my previous post.
The mid to later 80's and a bit beyond are an interesting period, Starck was the Masi GC builder but in my mind while the bikes are very good, the aesthetics lost the Concept. The Henry James sourced lugs and initial fork crown design could have used more finesse in the styling, the edge curves are lacking attention, I want them to move one way or the other, they just lumber around the head tube and primary tubes, the lug windows show to me a lack of asking the casting house to use fine grain investment, profit margin was king and the expense of controlled visuals. I do not know if it was Hank or Ted or both, but they needed a designer, did not want to pay for one or did not see the de-evolution. I am sure the American GC got more build attention, but the Nuova Strada was a good package as a race bike, good lug styling, what was required and expected of a later 80's race bike. The 3V was stiffer, but much more expensive. The Nouva Strada was and is more generic overall. But a wise purchase as a sacrificial race bike.