View Single Post
Old 06-12-11, 07:44 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
If I were you I would hit the trade & for sale threads above, you can do a In Search Of ( ISO) post and see what some members here have to offer as you would most likely get a better deal there then on ebay. For the type of build you are doing it is a simple one as far as parts go. If this were mine (and making a 10 or 12 Speed friction shifted) I would want to do it up with Suntour parts of the same time frame which should be reasonably priced and easy to find either here or on FleaBay. Some of my favorites for this type of build are.

Crankset - Sakae (SR) or Sugino with either a 110 or 130 BCD ( bolt circle diameter). There are many models to chose from like the SR SX or the Sugino VP which are common and easy to find and most times reasonably priced + Chainrings in any combo you want are easy to get for them.

Derailleurs - Some of the best front & rear derailleurs of that time frame were made by Suntour & most shouldn't be hard to find, although pricing can be all over the place so look for the best deals. Models like the VX or V Luxe are bullet proof and pretty easy to find & most of all can be had at very reasonable prices. Other models that I would keep an eye out for are Cyclone & Blue Line ( BL ) which both look great and work even better, maybe others can chime in with some more models that you could choose from as there are many.

Shifters - Looking at your frame you are going to need shifters that clamp on to your Down Tube (DT) or go with stem or bar end models. I try to get the Shifters to match as close as possible to the model of derailleurs I am using, that isn't always easy to do but as long as you keep it Suntour within the same number of speeds you shouldn't have a problem especially if going with friction shifters.

If you have any questions about what will or won't work always come back here and ask, there are many great people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge that are willing to share. I hope you found some of this useful in your build.

Glenn