View Single Post
Old 06-24-05, 08:28 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Size was 21"/22". According to what I saw on the vintage-trek site, the serial no. indicated it was 21", but it seemed a lot bigger than that. Fit me quite nicely though.

Yeah, I was kind of bewildered at the fact that he didn't even try to counter-offer. He gave me a spiele about having four other potential takers, but still, he had come to Brooklyn--from Long Island--with his lady and a couple of bikes in the back of his SUV. He also tried to make me feel obligated since he had driven 'for delivery,' but I didn't ask him to do that: someone else did, who obviously hadn't bought the other bike (a crappy Raleigh). So I was thinking he might at least try and go down a little bit, considering that he had driven this whole way and not yet made any money, and it's Friday night and he probably won't be selling anything else tonight. And the other thing is that he's in Long Island--not a lot of NYers actually go to Long Island just to maybe buy a used bike at an inflated price. I told him to let me know if he was still trying to sell it, but he seemed pretty confident that he'd sell it. We'll see how his four potentials work out. Thing is, with three bikes in the stable right now, I just couldn't justify a not-great deal.

And the thing wasn't even running great--I'd have to fix the brakes, probably true the wheels, maybe replace the tires, blah blah blah.

But that puppy sure did ride nicely--MAN!

Lt. Gustl, you're right, prices in this city are ridiculous--for everyone.