Thread: Am I Nuts?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-11, 09:04 AM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
OK, I'm a 52 year old male that has just gotten back into cycling this summer. My wife bought me a MTB quite a few years back and of course I never rode the thing, until this summer. Always to busy, you've all heard that before! Anyway, I am loving being back in the saddle again, the wind in the hair, the pain in the legs, the sweat in the eyes and that wonderful feeling of being out of breath - it's great!

So I've gotten in pretty good shape again and have lost a decent amount of weight. I have to travel farther and farther to get a good workout in, so the MTB is not so great anymore. Pushing it through the streets is not so much fun anymore, so I purchased a Miyata road bike, a 90 Miyata 1400 AlumiTech - which of course has down tube shifters. It should be here this week.

So am I crazy? Will I be able to handle down tube shifting again after so many years away from one? I have to tell you, I'm abit nervous about it. Getting back into city traffic was tough enough on the MTB with handlebar shifters, but down tube is another story I think.

What do you guys think?
You poor soul, heh heh. Yah, it'll be quite different than the MTB. Hopefully it's notched like a Trek or others, then get used to it.