View Single Post
Old 08-19-11, 02:29 PM
jbtute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rataan
Holy obfuscation, Batman! What does any of that prove about BD? Show me where the equivalence point is between BD frames and any brand you care to choose. Are we supposed to believe that these are the best frames in the world? They have the latest designs, zero defect manufacturing, and the last word in fit and finish? They certainly don't look it.
No one has zero defect manufacturing. The highest precision manufacturing of mechanical items is probably at an automobile plant. Even if you CT scanned every frame - like Toyota does with it's Aluminum castings which I doubt any bike maker would spend the $ to do - you would likely miss defects if there were an issue with a sheet of your carbon, or especially if you had an issue with your epoxy.

Your point? (Seriously, I have no idea where you were going with this)

I don't think they claim to have the worlds best frame... as if such a thing exists. They make - imagine this- an adequate frame for a wide variety of riders at a competitive price. That's really all that's claimed. The same can be said for the Cavalo frames and probably a lot of others.

And that's the "equivalence point" you're looking for. It performs the function that it was intended for. A bike that's adequately light weight, rides well, and is reasonably durable. The rest is simply fluff. Cool colors and fancy shapes, if your ego drives you, go for it. They don't make a bike better.

I DO know that carbon layup is not particularly difficult. Carbon fabric or roving is easy to source and is not particularly expensive. Carbon epoxies are also relatively easy to source and not particularly expensive in quantities needed to build a road bike frame.

What is somewhat humorous is that you apparently have bought into the hype that some other brand is the "best frame in the world" as you put it... without any verification of that. The reality is that you can't say your frame is better or worse than a BD frame, although you probably paid a lot more for it right? (I assume deep down you actually believe it's better - blind faith is a wonderful thing) Did the extra money increase your enjoyment? I'm sure your LBS was pleased with your choices. I hope you enjoy riding it.

Last edited by jbtute; 08-19-11 at 02:33 PM.