Old 08-27-11, 05:05 PM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
bummer. The REI website said that any online bike they sell could be shipped to my local store for no cost.

i thought that a frame needs break in the rear drive-side triangle to accommodate a belt drive, and to my knowledge the Surly Troll has no such break in the frame.
If you click the "REI Store Availability" button on the REI site for Raleigh, NC (and most of the state), virtually nothing other than the house brands are available or deliverable. For example, no Raleighs, Swobo, Scott, Marins, or Cannondales - my sense is that it's go something to do with exclusive distributorships.

That can't be quite right, because I can't get a Surly at my local REI store, even though several LBS's have them.

The bike that comes the closest to what I think I would want - a Raleigh Alley Way - isn't available for 50 miles. My 1st thought was to pick up one of those, planning to eventually upgrade the brakes to hydraulic and the Alfine 8 to an an Alfine 11.