Old 10-11-11, 11:57 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can actually get the Magicshine lights faster if you order straight from the Chinese kids who build them. All issues that I have read about the Magicshine is either the battery or the driver. It seems the driver has gotten better as have the batteries on the newer models. I seem to recall that there was in fact a recall via geomangear.com on the 808s.

We are looking at Cygolites now. There was on old one in the shop, the Rover II, that has a ****ty water bottle type deal with the batteries inside. I have that on the bike now (bars) and after sitting on the shelf for probably the last 3 or 4 years, it fired right up even in the shop. On the helmet I threw a Serfas TLS-250. It is more spot than flood, but damn is that thing bright. I ran both on some single trail for about 2 miles to get home tonight. You would have thought it was about 1pm as bright as they were. The entire ride tonight I just had the Cygolite on Low and only used the Serfas when we were by the river. Damn it is dark down there.

I did one little booboo though tonight. By the river I was going a bit hot downhill (according to Garmin Connect, 27MPH) and with all the leaves I lost sight of the trail and ended up flying off about a 2 to 3 foot drop. Landed it like I meant to do it, but my ass did pucker and my heart rate spiked a bit.

The other popular light I saw out there tonight were the NiteRider MiNewt 300 USB and the 150. Those little bastards were bright, even the 150 was pretty damn bright. The only problem with everyone having crazy lights while doing night group rides, are the shadows that get casted. Usually you can move to switch the shadow up so it isn't in your way, but it will mess with you the first couple of times you see it.