Old 10-29-11, 12:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Need Help Installing 105 5700 Front Shifter Cable!

OK I thought this would be easy, but maybe not...

I am putting together a new road bike and have a set of "take off" new 105 5700 shifters that are already mounted on a bar. When these were taken off, the seller obviously cut the shift cables so they are too short.

I removed the Front Shifter cable (after shifting into small ring setting) and it came out nice and smooth.

But when I try to thread a new cable into the same hole, it seems to go straight through the shifter rather than into the under-the-tape housing.

Any suggestions, short of unwrapping the bars and teasing it through?? I have tried putting a little "english" on the cable in various directions as I thread it through but it is not working.

I was hoping to avoid the hassle of unwrapping the bars.

Finally, I have yet to try the rear cable but will have to replace it as well, any thoughts on that too?

update: it gets worse!

I just tried doing the rear cable, and not only does it not feed through, but it's stuck! I can't get it out!!

I am afraid I may have to do the "drive of shame" to my LBS and have them help me out.

But any suggestions for either problem are welcomed.

Last edited by datlas; 10-29-11 at 12:50 PM.