Old 11-27-11, 07:36 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I considered the article to be about a visit and interview, with a little background. It affirmed some of my assumptions about Campy, and is similar to an article I once read about the Eddy Merckx-Pinarello cooperation. I rarely read page after page of a bike magazine article (while I'm waiting for my wife in Books A Million). I just wonder if, as our Edmonton friend says, more bikes came spec'd with Campy, or at least offered so, what would be the result? There is a waiting list, of sorts, now, for Campy groups at ribble and PBK.

Beginning with Sora or Tiagra probably does yield an upgrade later on. Ford did that with ******* and Tempos, because the research showed that very low margins on these vehicles helped sell bigger Fords to the same buyers over 75% of the time.

Campy kind of says, to me, "if you take the risk and spend the money, we think you'll be glad you did" on components, but maybe in a more confident/arrogant way, tending towards "we think you'll be glad you did" with a little "this is our product, take it or leave it" mixed in. I did, they were right, I'll take it.

I'm about to move a relative/friend into 8-sp Ergo. He prefers Campy because it's Campy and that gives him cred with his crowd. He is not a fan of the finicky Syncro. My guess is that riding Ergo will sway him from "having it because it's Campy" to using it because it's excellent. My guess is also that he'll be asking me to upgrade the same bike to 10sp Campy less than a year from now.
Maybe he'll upgrade to 10 or even 11 speed.

..or maybe he won't.

My 1993 Colnago came to me with 8 speed Campy, and it works so well, I can't imagine fussing with it.

In addition, I rode a Soma San Marcos yesterday with the new Veloce gruppo, and I can't imagine many enthusiasts needing much more performance than that "entry level" gruppo.