Old 11-27-11, 09:02 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
There's practically nowhere for a prospective buyer to test ride a Campy outfitted bike. If you're lucky your LBS might have a Dogma with SR 11 sitting on a pedestal for show, but they're not gonna let you spin it around the parking lot.

But if you want to take a chance with that 11 speed carbon wonder, albeit sight unseen, it can be between your legs two days after handing over the credit card to any LBS. The QBP distribution house, available to practically every bike store in this country, have all Campy groups and wheels in their catalog, as does BTI and I'm sure others.
In the US.

There was just an article in the WSJ about Italian business. Because of the government, growth beyond a certain point is not always desirable. Too many rules, regs and taxes at a certain point and it isn't worth the hassle. I can't say for sure about Campagnolo, but with only 5 people for selling into the US, it seems they are not too interested in out market. And maybe they don't need to.

But thanks to the Internet, in 2009 I bought the aluminum Centaur group from Ribble for $525 delivered to my door. I had DA 7700 up to that point (sold it used on ebay for $650, I made a "profit"). Some customers like me are willing to take a shot without the test ride. Risky. Sure. But that Centaur shifts as well as the DA, doesn't need tuning as often, doesn't have fugly ginormous hoods, and probably has a better resale value. My gamble payed off.