Old 11-27-11, 09:05 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

In product development there is a short view and a long view. Short view is about cutting costs and holding large marketshare with low price but low margin. ... Once costs can no longer go down, margin becomes even thinner. It's a tough spot for the long term. Long view is is to generate revenue by innovation. ...

The problem with Campagnolo is that the bicycle industry is so mature, there maybe isn't much room for innovation going forward. They were also hit a bit by SRAM taking a bit of their innovation crown. But my crystal ball sucks as I have yet to hit the lotto. There may be a great deal of innovation remaining and if there is, I'd bet on Campagnolo over Shimano in the long run unless Shimano really changes their tune.
"Decent Content" is a term I was recently exposed to. Not the best that can be done, but good enough. Look how long it took Shimano to clean up the cable routing of their brake/shift levers.

There is plenty of innovation to come in my view, the electronic gear is the beginning of what could come. An automatic transmission based on your effective output from load sensors in the drivetrain. As long as the UCI minimum weight requirement stays, the hard parts can get lighter and there is more allowance for batteries and electronics. Campagnolo should work on an iphone app that integrates with their stuff.

Campagnolo did disc brakes decades ago, hopefully with the admission of discs in cyclocross Campagnolo will jump on that and create a disc brake system.