Old 12-03-11, 06:14 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I agree that this would seem to make the most sense from this side but the development times are longer than you think for these companies. Shimano already has 11spd for 2013 and so far nothing from Sram other than a redesign of a few parts.

The next thing won't must likely drop until 2014 (unless Sram already has something ready to go and is waiting for the right time to drop it).

The other problem with road discs is rear wheel spacing. It really has to be 135mm. Wheel makers would not be happy with 130mm disc brake wheels. Frame makers would also need to get on board with 135mm for road (some have already gone that route in Cross) so unless Sram can get a few big brands to partner with them it would be tough to introduce a road group that is only good for custom frames.

I've asked a few frame makers and so far no rumblings on 135mm spacing requests.
i fully understand development time (i work in manufacturing) i didnt mean to say discs will be here soon, but i expect it to be the next wave after electronic shifting and 11spd settle out.

i am purely speculating but i wound not be surpriszed to see sram discs prior to 2014. it may be nothing more than massaged over bb7 calipers, a light weight disc, and possibly 130 and 135mm. it seems like they just need something to say look at me.

for a while i was wondering if shimano would go 135mm for their 11spd in anticipation of disc brakes but by the sounds of it, they probably are not.