Thread: TT on road bike
View Single Post
Old 12-07-11, 09:37 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Capacity08
New guy here, but long time forumer. I know thread jacking is frowned upon, but I feel like this would fit in fairly well here, and I don't want to flood the boards with another TT thread.

I'm going to be doing a 13 mile, non-aero equipment TT. Its mostly flat, with a hill towards the middle. I don't race, this will be my first race season, but I am a collegiate track athlete @ UW Stout.

My question is what can I do to be aero without violating the non-aero rules? I'm willing to do some taping and what not, and even shave the legs (I'm sure I'll catch hell for that one) I want to do everything I can...

Also, as far as rider position goes, is time best spent in the drops? I can ride the drops comfortably without a problem, but I've also seen some form in the pros where they rest their forearm/wrists on the bar tops and get into an aero tuck on their roadbike...but without aero bars. I can do this comfortably as well. Which is more aerodynamically efficient?

Anyways, sorry I jacked your thread rotti, but I think any info provided could be beneficial to the both of us. If not, I'll just quietly continue milling around the forums...

Thanks guys
Is this a collegiate race with the new "no aero" rule? You'll probably only be able to get away with a skinsuit, shoe covers, and invisible aero bars. You *might* be able to get away with taping the vents of your helmet, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to be allowed to use a true TT helmet.

Riding the drops is more aero than being on top of the hoods, but your frontal area will still be larger than they will in the "IAB". This guy apparently knows a thing or two about time trialing, and he's doing a pretty good job of showing you what the IAB should look like:

Best of luck to you.