Old 12-30-11, 04:43 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
not enough information to recommend that or any bike because your size and preferred bike size and the Bridgestone size aren't known.

Do you know your bb to saddle height or size of bicycle? That one shown looks to be around 20" or 52cm with short stem but it's hard to tell. I wouldn't want 28mm tires if I was carrying 40lbs. If you're 150lbs I could see using an old touring bike with front low riders helping to take some of the weight and 28-32mm tires but if you're 220lbs carrying 40lbs I'd be mighty leery of old road bikes with wheels of undetermined durability.

If you're getting used because you can't buy new you really can't afford to be ignorant of what you're getting because it'll be expensive later on. For example if that bike fits you but the rear wheel is slightly wonky/bent or retrued and still bent you'll be replacing it later on for at least $100.

So if you and your gear are on the heavy side that $350bike could easily become a $550 bike once you replace the rear wheel and tires because it's "problems" don't match your demands of loaded touring.