Old 07-19-05, 11:56 AM
juicemouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shredder
Whoops.

From either end it is 130.5mm. But how do I know if it is the right crank for it?

Also I tested to see whether it is the front wheel. I put antoher wheel in the forks and it is in the middle (But the spokes were rubbing against the caliper bit?). I have noticed that the spokes on my rim aren't even it looks like ones side sticks out more than the other? Its not in the middle though, should I be worried about this or not?
About your front wheel, I'm getting the impression that you're concerned about the hub being asymmetrical in the fork, and one side's spokes being at a different angle than the other side. The reason for this is that the disk brake system takes up some space on the left side of the front hub, so the spokes can't be mounted out as far on that side. This is completely normal for all disk brake bikes. The only thing that should concern you is whether or not the rim is lined up side to side at the top of the fork.

About your Uncle's crank/bottom bracket, I'm not aware of a crank that's available to match such a long spindle. It sounds like you're measuring it properly, though. It's just the overall length of the spindle (I'm guessing yours is officially a 130mm spindle). Here's the definitive BB sizing page: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Since bottom brackets are fairly inexpensive relative to cranksets, I'd advise you to choose the new crank first, then get a new bottom bracket to fit. This situation is a perfect time to take advantage of your local bike shop's expertise. Ask them to help you choose a suitable crank, and then ask them to help you match a bottom bracket to both the frame (important!) and the new crank.

You'll get it all sorted out eventually. Zinn's book that you mentioned is a very good comprehensive resource. Sheldon Brown's online articles and Park Tool's repair section of their website are invaluble as well. Just take your time and make sure you get it right. Good luck!

In memory of Jim Price (aka. sydney) ...