View Single Post
Old 11-10-02, 02:50 PM
pokey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Poppaspoke
I'm currently running a Shimano D/A drivetrain (used 2001 Trek, I'm not rich). The Texas hill country where I live is blessed with some STEEP ascents, so I'm thinking of switching to a triple to save my knees. What are parts I'm looking at to accomplish this, i.e. shifter, front derailleur, chain, crankset, etc? I'd like to switch from a 12-24, to an 11-21 cogset also. My thinking is that the triple crank with an 11-21 cog gives the best range of shifting in the middle, without sacrificing too much climbing ability.
I was also thinking about a Campy 10 speed, but I have to confess I have no experience with a Campy set-up. I'm pretty much a set it and forget it type, so the stories (true or false) about Campy high-maintenance woes scare me somewhat.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The campy hi maintenance stuff is BS,but 10 speeds with 4.12 cog spacing will be a bit more touchy than 9 speed with 4.43 or 4.55 spacing. Campy triples are a bit less touchhy than shmiano triples to setup and heep working. Neither one is really an issue unless you are tied to a shop for minor adjustments.Since you got DA, you need shifters,crank,BB,FD. New chain or RD not absolutes. I don't see a 12/24 in the shimano lineup,Maybe you mean 12/23 or 12/25. If you think you need the 11/21 then spend trhe money and switch to a triple. The alternatives involve wider jumps between cogs.