View Single Post
Old 02-10-12, 12:27 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Looks very cool, nice to see the community stepping up.

I have questions:
- I take this fund is to cover costs of having USADA show up and test more frequently than they otherwise would, yes? It seems implied but wasn't totally clear.
If by more frequently you mean "to show up and test," then the answer is yes. USADA does not currently actively test in our area unless they have reason to (see next answer). My understanding is USADA will show up to six races in the 'Duh this season, randomly chosen by them, and ask people to pee in a cup. USADA has the FRCA race calendar, and they will pick and choose the races they will attend.

- If somebody wants to accuse a rider or have the rider tested, is there a mechanism for that? E.g, "That guy's a doper, I just know it, and I'm willing to pay $250 to see him get busted".
USADA already has this mechanism in place. My understanding is at least one Florida rider is currently serving a suspension based on a tip provided to USADA.

http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-diamond

- If a shop / club pays $250 to be a "clean team" does that mean they won't be tested? (ok that's tongue in cheek, hopefully)
I don't think so, and I hope they don't give people passes for being on a "clean team" (full disclosure, I'm on a "clean team").

Please don't take this the wrong way - I am pro-testing and I do think there are more dopers at the amateur / lower cat levels than most people realize. I just want to understand exactly how this works.
The web-site linked in the first post has answers to many of these questions.

Since this is apparently the first grass roots effort in the nation to attempt to contract with USADA for random testing, I imagine there will probably be a few bumps, warts, and growing pains as it works out. However, for those of us who believe in fair and clean competition, you have to start somewhere.

Ken