Old 03-04-12, 07:15 PM
RosyRambler

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar conundrum. I have a mid-'70s Peugeot mixte that came with the cheap Simplex delrin derailleurs and shifters. I am hoping to keep everything as French as possible and change the derailleurs over to Huret models and am searching Ebay at the moment.

In the meantime, I am awaiting a Suntour V-GT Luxe rear derailleur I just won off Ebay and was figuring I'd put that on for the time being because I want a long cage RD. I'm also looking to put a cotterless "compact" crankset on.

However, I was reading Eugene A. Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" (1981) (Great book by the way!), and on page 100 he says,

"If you have a French bicycle you may not be able to use anything but a French derailleur, particularly if the dropout is a Simplex, designed for a Simplex derailleur."

So, do I assume the Peugeot has Simplex dropouts because it came with a Simplex rear derailleur? And I can't use anything but Simplex on it?

Or are there ways to get around it like mentioned above?

And how does one tell a Simplex dropout from any other dropout?

To OP....is your bike a Peugeot by any chance?