View Single Post
Old 03-21-12, 01:23 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
Pastor Bob and Chrome Molly, your bikes reflect a mighty effort, very well done!

I have a couple of these in the 24" size, one's yellow, one's Campus Green.

I continue to be amazed just how heavy they are, so haven't begun to take weight reduction efforts beyond pie-plate removal, smaller 6-speed freewheels and lighter tires and tubes.
I solved the tire-retention issue on the Weinmann rims with one wrap of 22mm Velox tape after trying 5 or 6 different tires that wouldn't tolerate even 70psi reliably. I found the tape very difficult to lay flat in the rim cavity, but it did raise the allowable pressure a solid 20psi by taking up slack in the bead that was allowing the bead to climp up and over the rim.

I don't like the long cage Allvit derailer, but it has nothing to do with the cage or even of it being an Allvit!!
The problem is the Bracket they supplied with it, which positions the derailer vertically, to allow the 32t cog.
This ruins the shifting on the smaller cogs, but I was able to file the bracket to allow the derailer to swing foreward just like the standard Allvit.

I left the crank and sidestand alone and just focused on improving the action of the derailer, shifter and cable, to go with the 9-speed chain and 6-sp Uniglide freewheel. Lastly, I added a hard-to-find 110mm stem with the needed .833 quill diameter and put an alloy post with a WTB Lazer saddle on. The 26.8mm seatpost size is/was pretty common.