Old 03-29-12, 08:33 AM
durrrell
Vintage Bike Fan

Bikes: Nishiki Cresta current Commuter Project, Miyata 1200, Trek Cirrus, Peugeot Montreal Express, Motobecane Roadie, Trek 1000 Aluminum 58cm ~ Nishiki Competition, Tri-A, Peugeot Canyon Express, Bianchi, Fuso and many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to own about $10k of Snap-on tools and only bought the best tools when I was a motorcycle service manager and pro AMA/FIM Expert MotoGP roadracer. Unfortunately years after I retired from racing, all my tools were stolen. Yes, I owned a Snap-on torque wrench and they are excellent tools. But I'm now just a bicycle hobbyist, my life is not on the line when I ride my road bikes and I'm not hitting 200+mph on my bicycles. A cheap torque wrench is far better than no torque wrench. Also, if you do enough wrenching, after awhile, you get a feel for what is the correct amount of torque even without the benefit of a torque wrench. I'm not used to the low inch-pounds of force used on bicycles, so I needed to get a torque wrench to reacquaint me to the lower torque forces used on bicycles.

@ $10, that's a throwaway price. If you are a bike mechanic, sure go for the pro level tools. But for the majority of the bike hobbyists and home mechanics, I think this is good enough and $10-17... come on! that's a great deal! I buy/own vintage bikes and haven't spent over $200 for any of the 12-15 bikes I own, excepting a bike I bought new in the 80's which is now also considered a vintage bike... I guess I'm now an antique too... so to spend way more for a single tool that I would only very occasionally use, doesn't make sense to me. If you've got money to burn and own $3-10k bikes, sure you can afford to spend the bucks on top quality tools... of course do it... love Snap-on...

I used to be a tool snob... Mac, Craftsman and the other quality tool makers were not good enough for me... Only Snap-on... unless they didn't make the tool I wanted/needed. I'd only buy Craftsman when I wanted tools I would/could abuse because Sears had such a great warranty. Today, Craftsman is plenty good for my needs.

Last edited by durrrell; 03-29-12 at 10:38 AM.