View Single Post
Old 04-12-12, 07:54 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Twenty years ago, the third hand was a great tool. Dealing with center pull brakes, and single pivot side pulls, nothing had barrel adjusters, and clamping the brake pads against the rim was a great way to get to leave just enough play in the cable so that you were in the right park when released.

It was much simpler then, basically a loop of steel sprung closed like a C clamp, with no sliding bs. For side pulls, the fourth hand was the tool of choice, for everything else (center pull or canti's) it was the third hand.

If anyone wanted helpful. If not, I can add that the bungee cord narration is definitely not a Long Island accent, as she sounds way too educated.
Hmm, I pretty much only use cantis and setting them up can be a bear. And I am building up a mixte for the wife that will have centerpulls. I wonder if I should hunt one down after all.