View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 07:03 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
I have been riding a Raleigh Technium for about five years or so. I like it. It is lightweight for the era and responsive. No problems so far with frame or lug failure and I haven't heard of failures when I talk with other Technium fans.

You will find that the Technium has many affectionados. I didn't know much about mine when I bought it at a thrift store, but quickly found many people where were enthusiastic and eager to talk about it.

From an historical perspective, the Technium is unique and fascinating. At the time, the industry wanted to make the great leap toward aluminum frames, but were restricted by the inherent weakness of aluminum - especially at the connecting points. So, the technology at the time afforded the brilliant approach of using steel lugs with aluminum tubes. Brilliant? I dunno about that, but anyway unique to be sure.

The ride is nice. The only one problem is in my own head. I cannot ride the bicycle with full confidence knowing that it has old-school aluminum frames epoxied to steel lugs. Always in the back of my mind is the doubt and haunting concern that a catastrophic failure could happen at any moment...
I've found there is a sort of cult following with this bike. Before this past weekend I'd barely given them much thought though I did know of them. I'm enjoying the overall feel of the bike which has been a total departure from the norm with my steel framed Trek 460. The only thing I'm trying to agree with is the "indexed" shifting. But that's probably just some tweaking and adjusting.

I'd love to see another of these bikes in our area.