Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Technium PRE opinions

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Technium PRE opinions

Old 04-20-12, 09:55 PM
  #1  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Raleigh Technium PRE opinions

In the morning if I can get a good contact on this bike I'll be taking a closer look at it. Not finding alot on the web so I thought about asking here what your thoughts are about the bike if you've owned one. I've heard and read about the potential drawbacks of their epoxied lugs and will keep that in mind when scoping it out. Otherwise it's a great deal and hope to see it.

Here is a youtube vid showing the exact model:

OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 01:12 AM
  #2  
marley mission
people's champ
 
marley mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: joisey
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i didnt pay alot for mine - but it suprised the heck outta me - my fav rider right now outside of my 97 klein

marley mission is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 06:58 AM
  #3  
roccobike
Bike Junkie
 
roccobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Posts: 9,553

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The epoxy question has come up here before. I can't recall one member bad mouthing these bikes. I've owned several brands, including a couple of Raleighs that had epoxy bonded tubing. Although none were my number one rider, I took several rides on these bikes, none broke under my 200lbs. I kept in touch with a couple of those who bought these bikes. They liked them. The concept is a good one, light, stiff Aluminum for main tubes with steel at the joints and steel forks and stays to absorb shock. Based on the riding I did, I'd say it works.
__________________
Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator
roccobike is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 09:15 AM
  #4  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
The epoxy question has come up here before. I can't recall one member bad mouthing these bikes. I've owned several brands, including a couple of Raleighs that had epoxy bonded tubing. Although none were my number one rider, I took several rides on these bikes, none broke under my 200lbs. I kept in touch with a couple of those who bought these bikes. They liked them. The concept is a good one, light, stiff Aluminum for main tubes with steel at the joints and steel forks and stays to absorb shock. Based on the riding I did, I'd say it works.
Do you recall there being a weight advantage to using the aluminum maintubing?
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 10:32 AM
  #5  
SteveSGP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota- the frozen tundra
Posts: 1,947

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned and rehabbed several and none had any issues with the bonds, they do seem a bit on the heavy side for an aluminum bike but I'd ride one if I found one I liked in my size.
SteveSGP is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 11:46 AM
  #6  
echo
Senior Member
 
echo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one that was in rough shape when I got it, stripped it down and repainted it and turned it into a single speed as most the drive train was missing when I saved it. Nice bike, to small for me, but very light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
a (1).jpg (101.5 KB, 334 views)
echo is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 12:02 PM
  #7  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,688
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I had this Scott Tinley model a while back. Nice ride but I didn't feel like it added enough to my modest stable to justify keeping it, so it moved on to an appreciative buyer. This bike was proportionally long in the top tube; I don't know whether that would apply to the model you're looking at, but just in case...check it out.

Really my only complaint about the bike was I didn't care for the occasional dinging from the internal cable when I hit bumps. Even the Suntour indexing worked like a charm.

due ruote is offline  
Old 04-21-12, 03:09 PM
  #8  
crazyb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hills of Iowa
Posts: 1,248

Bikes: all diamond frames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have-had several Techniums, never any lug problems, but a little harsh riding. Had a Pre that rode pretty rough.
crazyb is offline  
Old 04-22-12, 06:03 PM
  #9  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I got the bike! Talk about a sweet little deal. There is not a scratch or dent on the bike. The cassette looks like it's never had a chain on it....no grease or wear. The tires are not my favorites (Bontrager B 700x25...uggggh) but they are new. The Suntour 2040 Accushift w/DT shifters works great. Very light and responsive.

Given that "harsh ride" is in the butt of the beholder it's probably the 25's that smooth it out. It's a softer ride than my Trek 460 with 23's and 110psi (and I dig that).

Very light for an '89 PRE and low-mid level bike. Just using the bathroom scales showed 22-23lbs. I'm geeked, this could be my distance bike while the 460 will always remain my short-distance "race" (ok, I just pretend right now) bike it was designed to be.

Pics after the cleanup.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 04-22-12 at 06:07 PM.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-23-12, 05:36 PM
  #10  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rats, I cant post pics if I cant see any of the toolbar/icons.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-23-12, 06:14 PM
  #11  
marley mission
people's champ
 
marley mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: joisey
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet glad you picked it up - hope we see some pics soon
marley mission is offline  
Old 04-23-12, 06:27 PM
  #12  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,689

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post

Here is a youtube vid showing the exact model:

sounds like Phil Spectre's over produced "Wall of Sound" recordings of Ike an Tina Turner from the 60's. (this is my Simon Cowell/Rex Reed imitation post) .
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 04-24-12, 08:45 AM
  #13  
vinfix
Steel80's
 
vinfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 611

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Nishiki SS, Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard, and seen pictures, of Technium frames failing at the downtube shifter bosses. I had a 464 that I got in practically unridden condition. It was an OK bike, but I didn't like the handling, ride quality, or fit enough to keep it. My brother had a newer, all aluminum one that he put thousands of miles on, but with a worn out transmission, he gave up on it once he tried a Trek OCLV.
vinfix is offline  
Old 04-24-12, 10:33 AM
  #14  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by marley mission View Post
sweet glad you picked it up - hope we see some pics soon
For some reason I cant post pics here. The toolbar for posting features is strangely missing.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-25-12, 04:49 PM
  #15  
silvercreek
Banned.
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
In the morning if I can get a good contact on this bike I'll be taking a closer look at it. Not finding alot on the web so I thought about asking here what your thoughts are about the bike if you've owned one. I've heard and read about the potential drawbacks of their epoxied lugs and will keep that in mind when scoping it out. Otherwise it's a great deal and hope to see it.

Here is a youtube vid showing the exact model:
I've got one just like it. It needs a chain and a little TLC. Otherwise it's in pretty good condition. This is the first bike I've notice with the brake cables that come out of the levers sideways.


Last edited by silvercreek; 04-28-12 at 03:07 PM.
silvercreek is offline  
Old 04-25-12, 05:06 PM
  #16  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I've got one just like it. It needs a chain and a little TLC. Otherwise it's in pretty good condition.

Nice bike! After finishing up with the refurbing of bar tape, cables and a few accessories I took it out for a timed personal TT that I often run with my Trek 460 and the PRE is as fast. I like the quickness of the aluminum frame, it accelerates quickly. The only thing I'm going to do to improve it will be getting rid of the sluggish bontrager 25's and put some Michelin Krylion 23's with the gray stripe.

Cool bikes for sure.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-25-12, 05:23 PM
  #17  
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding a Raleigh Technium for about five years or so. I like it. It is lightweight for the era and responsive. No problems so far with frame or lug failure and I haven't heard of failures when I talk with other Technium fans.

You will find that the Technium has many affectionados. I didn't know much about mine when I bought it at a thrift store, but quickly found many people where were enthusiastic and eager to talk about it.

From an historical perspective, the Technium is unique and fascinating. At the time, the industry wanted to make the great leap toward aluminum frames, but were restricted by the inherent weakness of aluminum - especially at the connecting points. So, the technology at the time afforded the brilliant approach of using steel lugs with aluminum tubes. Brilliant? I dunno about that, but anyway unique to be sure.

The ride is nice. The only one problem is in my own head. I cannot ride the bicycle with full confidence knowing that it has old-school aluminum frames epoxied to steel lugs. Always in the back of my mind is the doubt and haunting concern that a catastrophic failure could happen at any moment...
mike is offline  
Old 04-25-12, 07:03 PM
  #18  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I have been riding a Raleigh Technium for about five years or so. I like it. It is lightweight for the era and responsive. No problems so far with frame or lug failure and I haven't heard of failures when I talk with other Technium fans.

You will find that the Technium has many affectionados. I didn't know much about mine when I bought it at a thrift store, but quickly found many people where were enthusiastic and eager to talk about it.

From an historical perspective, the Technium is unique and fascinating. At the time, the industry wanted to make the great leap toward aluminum frames, but were restricted by the inherent weakness of aluminum - especially at the connecting points. So, the technology at the time afforded the brilliant approach of using steel lugs with aluminum tubes. Brilliant? I dunno about that, but anyway unique to be sure.

The ride is nice. The only one problem is in my own head. I cannot ride the bicycle with full confidence knowing that it has old-school aluminum frames epoxied to steel lugs. Always in the back of my mind is the doubt and haunting concern that a catastrophic failure could happen at any moment...
I've found there is a sort of cult following with this bike. Before this past weekend I'd barely given them much thought though I did know of them. I'm enjoying the overall feel of the bike which has been a total departure from the norm with my steel framed Trek 460. The only thing I'm trying to agree with is the "indexed" shifting. But that's probably just some tweaking and adjusting.

I'd love to see another of these bikes in our area.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-25-12, 10:34 PM
  #19  
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Posts: 5,964

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A note about fearing adhered joint failure... I guess you better not fly then, as a lot of aluminum space frames are 'glued' today.

I own a Technium Tri-Lite Pro frame that was queued for a future build, since it's a bit big for me. They are well-finished frames. I flipped a 86 Technium 440 that wasn't my size, but came away positive about them. I also now have a ladies CT200 Technium hybrid that's destined for a flip. I didn't hesitate to pick it up.

WNG is offline  
Old 04-26-12, 07:34 AM
  #20  
borgagain
Oldtimer
 
borgagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foothills of the Catskills in New York
Posts: 221

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I cannot ride the bicycle with full confidence knowing that it has old-school aluminum frames epoxied to steel lugs. Always in the back of my mind is the doubt and haunting concern that a catastrophic failure could happen at any moment...
I really wouldn't worry about it. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and look at the post-crash damage to my Technium:

http://backroom.hardsdisk.net/technium.html

Both the bike and I bounced and rolled a few times before coming to rest.

The head and seat tubes are still in perfect alignment to each other. There's absolutely no sign of joint failure. If I came across a suitable replacement fork, wheels, crankset, handlebars, well everything really, I wouldn't hesitate to straighten the stays, rebuild it and ride it.
borgagain is offline  
Old 04-26-12, 07:47 AM
  #21  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,688
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by borgagain View Post
I really wouldn't worry about it. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and look at the post-crash damage to my Technium:

http://backroom.hardsdisk.net/technium.html

Both the bike and I bounced and rolled a few times before coming to rest.

The head and seat tubes are still in perfect alignment to each other. There's absolutely no sign of joint failure. If I came across a suitable replacement fork, wheels, crankset, handlebars, well everything really, I wouldn't hesitate to straighten the stays, rebuild it and ride it.
Ouch! Glad you fared better than the bike.
due ruote is offline  
Old 04-27-12, 12:22 PM
  #22  
1989Pre
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: 2001 Raleigh M80, 1989 Raleigh Technium, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1948 P. Barnard & Son

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 1989 Technium Pre, Just like Olds and Silver.
Bought as leftover in March 1990 for $319.00 and have been on it ever since,
minus a 4-year flirtation with a Bianchi Boardwalk (hybrid).
The aluminum took some getting-used-to, because I was coming from a Raleigh Grand Prix. The lightness is worth the sacrifice in comfort, though, especially since the Technium is geared more toward performance than the Grand Prix (racing frame vs/ sport touring).
Regarding what most riders would see as the frame's major drawback, the 6-speed freewheel: I have never found a need for more than 12 speeds, even here in hilly new england.
Regarding durability, here are some of the highlights:
1.) Almost took the drivers door clean off of a Saab 93 in June 1993. (Forks not even bent)
Rider suffered a fractured clavicle.

2.) Threw bicycle at aggressive dog in August of 1997. (I did not miss).
Bicycle unharmed.

3.) Watched as Heathrow security roughly jammed large-framed bike
into x-ray machine in Apr. 1995. Bike unscathed.

4.) In 2004, left chainstay pushed in 2mm as bike was on rear bike rack
and I backed slowly into another car. 126mm hub still fits, but with a bit of tugging.

I've been slowly upgrading it, and since I do not know how to
post photos at this forum, here is the present componentry:

1989 Raleigh Technium Road Bike, 58cm, Yellow

Kinesis RF28 aluminum forks. Campagnolo Veloce crank w/ 174 mm crank arms. Stronglight 5083 chainrings, 39-53. Campagnolo Veloce bottom bracket and Veloce brake calipers. Fibrax S310 (sprint) brake pads.
Wheels: on rear: 28H Sun Venus rim (red) w/Campagnolo Record hub and 14G, butted DT Swiss spokes, 3X. On front, 20H Sun Venus (silver) rim w Hope Mono Pro III hub, 14G, butted DT Swiss spokes, 2X. IRC Paperlite Plus tires (23c). Campagnolo Victory skewers.
Iscaselle saddle, Campagnolo Chorus "shorty" 180mm (26.8mm) seat post.
Cane Creek 110 Classic headset. 40cm Scott Liteflite Aerolite handlebars with ITM The Big One 110 mm stem. Six-speed Suntour New Winner 13-28 freewheel. Suntour Superbe Pro (1st generation) rear derailleur. Suntour Alpha 5000 front derailleur. Sachs PG chain. Speedplay Frog Ti pedals.
Suntour Accushift index shifters on downtube (set to friction). Cane Creek SCR-5C brake levers. Klean Kanteen polished, 18 oz water bottles. Specialized Rib Cage water bottle cages. Hunt-Wilde plum handlebar tape. GT blue saddlebag with reflective stripe. VDO A8 computer.
Professionally painted by The Color Factory in Paramus, N.J.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 03-19-16 at 06:49 PM.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 04-27-12, 03:43 PM
  #23  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
I have the 1989 Technium Pre, Just like Olds and Silver.
Bought as leftover in March 1990 for $319.00 and have been on it ever since,
minus a 4-year flirtation with a Bianchi Boardwalk (hybrid).
The aluminum took some getting-used-to, because I was coming from a Raleigh Grand Prix. The lightness is worth the sacrifice in comfort, though, especially since the Technium is geared more toward performance than the Grand Prix (racing frame vs/ sport touring).
Regarding what most riders would see as the frame's major drawback, the 6-speed freewheel: I have never found a need for more than 12 speeds, even here in hilly new england.
Regarding durability, here are some of the highlights:
1.) Almost took the drivers door clean off of a Saab 93 in June 1993. (Forks not even bent)
Rider suffered a fractured clavicle.

2.) Threw bicycle at aggressive dog in August of 1997. (I did not miss).
Bicycle unharmed.

3.) Watched as Heathrow security roughly jammed large-framed bike
into x-ray machine in Apr. 1995. Bike unscathed.

4.) In 2004, left chainstay pushed in 2mm as bike was on rear bike rack
and I backed slowly into another car. 126mm hub still fits, but with a bit of tugging.

I've been slowly upgrading it, and since I do not know how to
post photos at this forum, here is the present componentry:

1989 Raleigh Technium Road Bike, 58cm, Yellow

Kinesis RF28 aluminum forks. Campagnolo Veloce crank w/ 174 mm crank arms. Campagnolo Record chainrings, 39-53. Campagnolo Veloce bottom bracket and Veloce brake calipers. Kool-Stop Thinline brake pads.
Wheels: on rear: 28H Sun/Ringle Venus rim (silver) w/ Royce high-flange hub and 14G, butted DT Swiss spokes, 3X. On front, 20H Sun/Ringle Venus (silver) rim w Novatech A271SB hub, 14G, butted DT Swiss spokes, 1X. Bontrager Select K tires (23c). Campagnolo Record skewers w/ Royce handles.
Topo KT kevlar/titanium/leather saddle, Easton EA50 (26.8mm) seat post.
1" threadless Aheadset. 40cm Scott Liteflite Aerolite handlebars with ITM The Big One 110 mm stem. Six-speed Suntour Alpha 14-28 freewheel. Suntour GPX rear derailleur. Suntour (original) front derailleur. SRAM PC-870 chain. Speedplay Frog Ti pedals.
Suntour Accushift index shifters on downtube. Stock Aero Compe brake levers with new, yellow hoods. Klean Kanteen yellow, 18 oz water bottles. Specialized Rib Cage water bottle cages. Benotto cello blue handlebar tape. GT blue saddlebag with reflective stripe.
Professionally painted by The Color Factory in Paramus, N.J.
"I did not miss"

I see you have kept the stock gearing on the freewheel (28-14) and after a few top gear rides it's obvious to me why you stepped up to the 53 chainring. Nice.

Aluminum frames....I'm still trying to feel my way around on this thing. One thing I noticed with the stiffer aluminum is being able to feel every pedal stroke when "chugging" out of the low end of a gear or hillclimb. The geometry is more relaxed for a reasonably sharp headtube angle when you put that longer top tube in, really makes a difference in the drops, too. Nice nice nice. Love this bike.

Thanx for the informative post, it will surely interest other PRE/Technium riders.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 04-27-12 at 03:47 PM.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-27-12, 08:54 PM
  #24  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,425

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
I had this Scott Tinley model a while back. Nice ride but I didn't feel like it added enough to my modest stable to justify keeping it, so it moved on to an appreciative buyer. This bike was proportionally long in the top tube; I don't know whether that would apply to the model you're looking at, but just in case...check it out.

Really my only complaint about the bike was I didn't care for the occasional dinging from the internal cable when I hit bumps. Even the Suntour indexing worked like a charm.

The top tube is longer than the one on the Trek 460 with matching frame size. The PRE top tube is almost 2" longer and it really makes me feel like my hinder is too rearward so I'm taking that up with seat adjustment and just about found the sweet spot.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 04-28-12, 06:35 AM
  #25  
1989Pre
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: 2001 Raleigh M80, 1989 Raleigh Technium, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1948 P. Barnard & Son

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pics of my 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, re-painted and upgraded. My six-speed razor!

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-05-18 at 06:10 PM.
1989Pre is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.