View Single Post
Old 06-09-12, 07:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 3,907 Times in 2,330 Posts
This reminds me of when i first heard about TriFlow. Around the late 1970s we recieved a sample of "new" lube with some write ups about it. It was called TriFlon, same black bottle. (The name changed to the current TriFlow after the owners of the Teflon name complaned). The write ups were from a gun magizine. They had broken down, cleaned and reassembled, with this TriFlon, their machine gun. Went to the firing range (we hoped...), went through a few clips of ammo then took all apart to see how the lube held up. This mag claimed that not only did the rate of firing go up but the build up of carbon and residues were less then with "standard" gun oils. So at the shop we all figured if TriFlon was good enough for your M16 it was probobally good for your Sedis or Regina chain. The lubes we were using back then were Sturmey Archer, LPS1 and LPS3, 10W-40 auto oil, WD-40 and parifin wax. Each had their issues. This new stuff had them all beat on so many levels, including the nice smell of the spray bottle.

I'm a bit synical about all this biodegradeable stuff. We all have used or read about the solvents and lubes that make such claims. These might be true, to a degree, with the raw and clean solvent/lube. But what about when it contains the grime, old lubes and metal dust from a used chain? Do the companies really think it still is safe to pour the dirty stuff down your drain? I never did and tell my customers such. Andy.