View Single Post
Old 06-23-12, 10:49 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
If you are serious about weenifying your bike, Wheelset-wise, It's best to try out tubular rims and tires. One thing I noticed about going weenie with clinchers, the narrower and lighter you go with the rims and tires, the more the ride quality seems to get harsh. Most basic tubular setups are as good or usually much better than the best clinchers you can get. So weight and ride quality will usually be on the plus side compared to clinchers.
For example, My ultralight 32H clincher (Can't remember the rim brand but I think it was the lightest and narrowest that Rigida made) wheelset with very light and narrow Hutchinson Atom tires feel like bone shakers compared to my 32H 330GL/Vittoria Rally tubs. they weigh close to the same, with the tubs just slightly lighter, but the tubs, even with the cheapy tires feel so much better in terms of ride quality. My other tubular wheelsets with nicer tires feel even better.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 06-23-12 at 11:01 AM.