Old 08-02-12, 08:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by sjvcycler
please tell me you have home owner's / renter's
While I know from another thread that he lives with his parents, filing a stolen bike claim with homeowner's is usually not advisable unless you have something like a solid gold bike stolen. Not only do you have a deductible to deal with, your rate will almost certainly go up and you may even get dropped. As my agent franky admitted, if you file a homeowner's claim, make sure it's a big one.

Nearly two years ago a crackhead came into my house while we were upstair in bed watching the 11 p.m. news. He made off with my irreplaceable custom racks along with the Surly LHT they attached to. (He left the two custom IFs behind.) I sucked it up and now never foregt to lock the door and put the chain on.

I carry the original receipt with serial number in my wallet in the event I see someone riding it around. Stranger things have happenede. Several years ago, a friend of mine had a bike stolen from his house. A day or two later he went for a drive around a bad neighborhood near his house and saw someone riding his bike. The guy left it outside when he went into a store. My friend drove up, opened the side door to his van, tossed the bike in and drove off.

Even further back, a friend had his Colnago C-40 stolen from inside a place of worship. Several years later, someone showed up at the shop where the bike had been purchased trying to sell it. The shop owner was related to my friend and thoutht he recognized the bike. He made a phone call to the owner, who told him to pull remove one of the bar end plugs and look for a business card inside. Sure enough, it was there. The shop owner paid the guy the $150 or so bucks he wanted to avoid any trouble.