folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mulleady
@folderfanatic

Most people won't care about the Dahon tiff and Tern is now a separate company. I think it will live or die by the quality of its bikes & how Josh runs the business not by some family history known to s small minority. Why be so judgemental? I think you will find Tern is here to stay.

You also make the majority of bike shops sound quite nasty. As with all **** sapien sapiens, it's a numbers game but Im glad I have a choice of bike shops and I'm glad there is online competition as it improves prices & service.. Please stop grouping Dahon & Tern together and move on. As for Dahon they are part of folding bike history and made some lovely bikes and are not the worst. They just made too many models and Josh seems to be wise to this judging by the Tern range.
Remember I simply was cleaning out my hard drive and came across those old photos. Now I could get rid of (delete) them and that will be that. But occasionally, I am still asked about the bike shops around here (which has no bearings to most of you) offline with other local cyclists. Online, I still add pages to my old Website as the need (via Private Mail) indicates: Brompton Easy Wheels Substitute Ideas, so I keep anything I happen to document. Or read about online. Or physically pass by when out cycling-i.e. the Dahon HQ periodically. I document-even old news like Dahon/Tern-as I review where my precious money & time should or could be better spent. Except for 1 special bike that I am strongly considering to be purchased in the near future (see Am-star-dam), my bike needs have been met.

Originally Posted by mulleady
Now now Thor God of Dahon thunder lol! Let's not get dragged into bike vs bike storms!!! FF has been a bit unfair and none of us agree on her views on this particular thread. As for the Brommie it is a great bike so let's leave that one out of it and older Raleighs are from another century now and classics at that.

Perhaps the Dahon God Thor was merely raising a storm against Ff's fleet lol?
I was not looking for agreement. I was looking for change within others. Not there yet.

Originally Posted by Training.Wheels
Why even bash Dahon when you are no longer a customer? You seemed to have had no problems with your Boardwalk or Piccolo, and the Dahon/Tern separation didn't even affect you. You're criticizing the company based on stuff you've read, not personally experienced. Come on, now.
I am a custormer at times-just not with their bikes anymore-just accessories. I had plenty of problems with those bikes. Even in the middle of a bike ride, I had to stop & tighten something, or address an problem. Nevermind about locating the replacement latches. With the 3 present bikes I have, nothing for 2 years. And the replacement screws are easy to come by in the local hardware store.

Originally Posted by Training.Wheels
Why even bash Dahon when you are no longer a customer? You seemed to have had no problems with your Boardwalk or Piccolo, and the Dahon/Tern separation didn't even affect you. You're criticizing the company based on stuff you've read, not personally experienced. Come on, now.
Who says I'm not a customer? I don't buy the bikes anymore, but I do sometimes buy their bags-and perhaps other accessories-either for myself or gifts for present Dahon owners. I don't live in a vacuum or choose my friends because they have different bikes than I do.

Originally Posted by brakemeister
You know that I love old restored moded to the gills Raleighs.... they are awesome and I have deep respect for folks who dont spare any expense and search low and high to get the bottom bracket redone, the bearings replaced.... and and and ...
Same as Brommies of course, they are nice without a doubt....just not my cup of tea.
Just this relentless Dahon /Tern bashing is getting old ...... one of this days I will ask the guys at Dahon what the real story is. Almost sounds like a disgruntled ex employee. Wouldnt surprise me.... very little does these days... lol

Best Thor
Oh, so you don't like my old Raleigh is that then? Matters little as I like it fine and that is enough for me. I do admit I don't ride that bike or any other one like I used to. Here in Los Angeles, the infrastructure is set up for cars-even older ones hailing from the 60s & 70s. Bicycles are in the way except for some limited recreational use. But the sole reason for having them has not changed and except for the Am-star-dam bike, they must all be ready to fold or separate up and go into trunks or hidden in bags. Or else out they go too along with the former Dahons-Terns or anything else that takes up valuable space without nothing in return.

Remember Thor, I have been around for a quite number of years in a hostile-to-bicycles environment, Los Angeles. I saw many wonderful bike shops go away or even close shop because their owners retire like my Flying Dutchman bike shop did back in 1980 or so or change hands. So will you do too when the time comes & probably disappear from this forum forever, no matter the promises you make, wish to make, or others make for you here even now. Because that is a fact of life. The only constant in business relationships is change. Rewriting history or wishing it away does not make is so.

And I don't forget my hard won lessons from that same shop all those years ago. Even today, I still am attracted to the bikes I have now or will soon because of that wonderful Dutch immigrant family and doing business with them. And I kept photographs gathered all over the Internet to remind me of those exact same bikes. Their strong points and their weaknesses. I did not dare to load up my Boardwalk with groceries which I can do with ease with my Jetstar. It's rear rack is in reality, part of the frame itself and can carry far more heavier loads that I need to. Even my non-cycling mother did not want me to put too much on the Boardwalk. She thought it would bend from the weight!

I also have seen my community flooded by way too many bike shops right now. And there is much back stabbing and in fighting going on. I choose to remove myself and go farther out into Suburbia all things bikes until the dust settles. Anything else is suicide-or being careless.
Attached Images

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-08-12 at 07:04 PM.