KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
I don't get passed often but when I do I would prefer the courtesy of a warning over a Dos Equis.

In all seriousness it's a courtesy that I extend to others and would appreciate in return. I go a step further and add extra words by saying something like, "Hi, I'm passing on your left" to give them an extra second to process what's going on and get used to it before I go on by. Plus it sounds friendlier. As far as a bell goes, I don't see them used much in my little corner of the world and they are not required by law. I may consider getting one someday but I'm not sure that anyone I encounter would know how to process getting dinged at.

My commuting is reduced greatly this year by training for a marathon that I am running in October, but I am still out on the MUP as a classic commuter's nightmare, the jogger with earbuds. For my part I hold my line and check behind me before I make any sudden moves. I am a bit dismayed by the number of other joggers and cyclists alike who cannot figure out that the MUP is meant for two-way traffic and that you are supposed to stay to your right.
I've found that if you trust people to behave decently, you will almost invariably be let down. Without rules and force behind them, there is no decency. A couple of meatheads will invariably act like jerks, get away with it and others will assume it's OK to do as well.

I'd like to see a vigilante bike MUP squad that used fly swatters on inconsiderate peds and lances on the inconsiderate cyclists. I kid, but I can dream.