View Single Post
Old 08-24-12, 03:19 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
WOW, the OP sure does have an active imagination. Smirking at a guy because he assumes he's an old poser; sprinting past the guy because he assumes the guy is po-ed at him; assuming the guy drafted him for 8k on the basis of hearing him coast; assuming the guy's reason for drafting was to boost his ego; assuming the old guy passed him only to prove himself against the OP.
Ditto.

OP -
  • Riding 18-20 on a MUP? I hardly ever use them, but it's hard to imagine that being acceptable behavior by any number of yardsticks.
  • Riding a MUP with no mirror? Even so, you don't check behind you by turning your head?
  • You draft him, then pull in front and slow? That's what I do to encourage someone to draft.
  • Did you "announce" yourself to him when you were drafting?
  • He's a meter off your wheel? [And, I wonder, possibly exaggerating?] That's not very dangerous, IMO.

BTW, I'm 66. I draft when the opportunity presents itself. I am also slow - 15-16 MPH average, although on a group ride last Sunday I rode 12 miles with the fast riders (19.1 MPH average) which lifted me to 17.4 (a PR) for the whole 51 miles. Lots of drafting.
  • I did a 4-day racing clinic this spring plus another teacher-led pace line ride last month, so I felt pretty comfortable (the clinic had us collide, hit and overlap wheels, avoid obstacles w/o deviating from your line, etc.).
  • It was very useful. I learned several new techniques (e.g., double pace line), lots of subtleties about numerous areas, and it improved my confidence in many areas.
    • Intense Example: 3 weeks ago, riding 3rd in a pace line, the leader teaching the second rider, he's turned to say something, and his wheels barely avoid a hold in the pavement. I had no time to warn. I knew rider 2 was probably going to hit it (she did) but I knew I could swing my tires around the hole (I had practiced this for about an hour). And, as it turned out, I was able to get them around the outstretched arm of the downed rider - boy, she went over the bars and down FAST! It was the first time I've seen anything like that, and I sure had a fantastic view.