View Single Post
Old 08-15-05, 07:12 PM
ponds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up this beast the other day, a 2005 Bianchi Bergamo, to replace my slickified MTB as a real commuter:

It's a really neat little bike, along the same vein as the Specialized Globe and the Trek T80.

It has a lot of unique stuff, which I think works pretty well.

You may or may not be able to notice (my camera sucks) the lack of a front derailer and a single chain ring, but it's 21 speed. Well, it has a 7-speed rear casette, as well as a three-speed internally geared rear hub. This sounded like a gimmick to me to begin with, but it absolutely rules. I would say the gearing on it is as broad as my 48/38/28 on my MTB. I can shift the internal hub while stopped at a stop light, without having to pedal, so i can come to a light at top gear, and then switch to easy gear to spin up when the light turns green, and rip it back to top gear shortly after. Also, internally geared hubs are pretty much bombproof, so when my derailer craps out, I'll still be able to shift amongst my broadest three gears.

It has an array of blinkin LEDs on the back of the seat which automatically engage when you sit on it.

Very comfortable riding, I could never wear jeans on long rides until I got this bike, and now it's no problem at all.

One thing that I thought was funny is that the Globe and the T80 have an integrated lock for the rear wheel. The Bergamo solves this problem a different way, it just doesn't have quick release on the rear wheel.

I don't know how much I like the flyback handlebars, they're ergonomically sound but I would like more hand positions. Will probably get some Novara Safari style butterfly bars eventually.

Came stock with fenders, a rack, and 700x38 tires, Great for commuting right out of the shop! I love this bike, and would recommend it to any commuter who's shopping around.