View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 01:05 PM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Too much conventional thinking. Of course a trailer is not a pannier touring set up. But none of the objections stated are any more convincing than they would be if one was comparing a sports car to a truck and trailer combo. There are many disadvantages to towing an RV. I don't own one, but I have a 30 foot trimaran trailer, and it is not at all the same kind of experience as riding in a sports car. But there are a ton of people who enjoy it.

There are only really two questions to be considered. What would a trailer allow you to do that panniers etc... would not. Another is can it be done.

While I take a very light approach to touring, I think it is fair to ask "Why?" Is it always advantageous to do 80+ miles a day? There are situations where slower would be better. One of the problems with fast, is that one needs a big route, and then you need to return from maybe a thousand miles. While the scenario I outlined above did not make sense, it could work for a semi urban tour, where camping is hard to come by. Someone mentioned the walmart option. In toronto you could tour the whole town, with lots of stops, and stops at walmart for camping, or do the night and day thing. If the trailer could be made for 60 pounds (one in video), which I think is a high number. Then you drop a bunch of weight based on racks panniers, tents, sleeping bag, stuff sacs, etc... You are not coming out even, but you would be OK.

We have trailerred 120 in our kid carrier, and it is a tug, but my 98 pound wife can do it. So it is feasible.

Another option that would make sense would be winter travel. This could be winter in the south where it is cold, but not so bad, right on up to Canada. Some germans crossed canada in the winter, and they camped in tents much of the way. A box would be a lot more comfortable. It is windproof. It could be ventilated, while a tent just keeps building up frost. I wouldn't want to do the real winter stuff, but someone probably does. Same probably goes for rainy places. Your gear could stay absolutely dry, and you can arrange ventilation with fan ports or dorados.

There is also possibly a napping kids possibility, in the right time and place.

There is a ballistic shelter type deal. No I am not scared of wild animals, some people are. areas with lions, wolves, wild dogs, or truly extreme weather, may call for something more than 1.6 ripstop, or some of the people currently staying at home may think so. That is probably going to run a little more weight, could be worth it for a slow tour somewhere with really large teeth.

Is it doable, yeah. I think the weight and wind resistance can be engineered.

Another reason to do it is the challenge. This has been tried almost as long as there have been bikes. Eventually someone will come up with something that really works. I think the Youtube trailer is real close.

Last edited by MassiveD; 10-08-12 at 01:12 PM.