Old 10-09-12, 11:30 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
Another option that would make sense would be winter travel. This could be winter in the south where it is cold, but not so bad, right on up to Canada. Some germans crossed canada in the winter, and they camped in tents much of the way. A box would be a lot more comfortable. It is windproof. It could be ventilated, while a tent just keeps building up frost. I wouldn't want to do the real winter stuff, but someone probably does. Same probably goes for rainy places. Your gear could stay absolutely dry, and you can arrange ventilation with fan ports or dorados.
Umm... no. Tent is windproof, and can be ventilated really, really well. People even use lean-tos for winter camping all the time. Problem with ventilation is, there's no easy way to heat up the incoming cold air. It's easier to just use better sleeping bags and pads. A good winter sleeping bag will keep you comfortable in the snow, under plain sky, but usually some kind of shelter is preferred. A portable cabin with no heat source would be just like a tent in winter, only heavier and more difficult to move in the snow.

Back to OP, there are tent trailers. Again, where I've camped, I see little benefits from setting up tent on a trailer vs. ground, but your requirements may differ. Here's one for example: http://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/index.php#diyrv

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines