View Single Post
Old 11-24-12, 08:35 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What costs so much, insurance?

I must be lucky. I bought a 2000 Honda Civic, with 144,000 miles 3 years ago for $3K to make a 160 mile R/T commute once a week. Put 14,000 miles on it in three years. I'm retired now but it only costs $35/year for registration and $280 year for insurance to sit in my driveway. Haven't even done an oil change for the last 2 years. Don't need the money and keep it as backup in case my wife's 10 year old car quits. I use it mostly to get a pizza every now and then and drop larger items off at the Goodwill store. Still running on the tank of gas I put in when I filled it up on 31 Aug. Runs like a top. Good running automotive transportation does not have to cost an arm and leg.
I'm in the same place as you with my car. It's a '94 Sentra, the same one I bought in high school. My desultory maintenance and thinly veiled contempt for it only make it stronger. I get an oil change once a year, but the oil guys always say I didn't need one, because all of the fluids and stuff are still clear.