Old 08-25-05, 12:54 PM
BenyBen
winter is comming

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Lots of good stuff in there.

I've read about pre-showers, wipes, washcloths but these don't cut it in the summer for all but the shortest commutes.

I went to the Dr. on Monday just after lunch, a mere 3.5mi ride each way, but it was 109deg. I took it much easier than my commute, I decided not to shower afterward, but wiped down, and I was pouring sweat, soaking clothes and sticky and nasty for the rest of the day. The body heats up so much from an easy 20min on the road that even after wipe down one is still red and sweaty for at least 30min afterward.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask anyone in this climate to commute in summer unless they have showers available.

Al
Noisebeam, I've commuted to work in such temperatures a couple times and did fine. I don't mean to tell you that you have it wrong, simply that it can work for some. I think clothing has a lot to do with it. I:

-take a pre-shower
-use fast drying wicking frabric, that doesn't feel sticky when humid/wet
-Get into work and rest some time to dry up (AC'ed office helps a whole lot) a bit before changing . <--- IMPORTANT
-Use deodorant and wipes if necessary, then change into work clothes