Old 08-25-05, 03:22 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve,

First of all, well written abstract. I could see the college education involved in it.

All battling aside, it did its job, which was to summarize a plethora of statistical information for consumption by a non-scientific based group - my assumption is city planners and other Pols.

As far as the summer riding hijack:

I've walked, ran and cycled to work (I still do for variety) and can say that when the temp. breaks 85+ with any humidity at all you will be wet.

Walking 3 miles to work (approx. time 45 mins. at 5 mphs) I was soaked in 90 degree temperatures. It took me about an hour to dry off, and I got two ear infections out of it; while running, I was able to cut down the time exposed to the temps. to 26 minutes - changing clothes means I am able to remove that moisture and the subsequent issues involved with it. Planly, just by walking I feel like **** all day because my clothing is itchy, etc. When I run, or cycle, I may exert myself more, but even bird bathing offers me a clean feeling and fresh clothing (even if I perspire for another 30 mins. afterwards) its superior to the alternatives. The problem, as pointed out in the Steve's abstract is this:

The average person doesn't connect exercise with work, let alone commuting with anything less than a vehicle; therefore it is a stretch for them to accept anything short of perfect hair, clothing and the fresh smell of cologne (normally too much at that).