Old 01-23-13, 05:31 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
How long before couples are comfortable on tandem?

My wife and I just joined the dark side! We got ourselves a used Co-Motion Java for Christmas. The past few weeks I've been replacing worn components, upgrading to a cassette that will work better in our very hilly countryside and adding new clipless pedals. Today I put it on our trainer and we spent a few hours getting the fit roughly dialed in. We're looking forward to a fun summer on the bike once winter breaks.

We'll both be 65 yo this coming summer. I'm a avid cyclist and ride a Specialized Roubaix. My wife rides a relaxed fitness bike occasionally. But, she REALLY wants to make tandem riding work for us and is the driving force behind the tandem. Needless to say, our riding style and cadences are very different. She's not very comfortable spinning above 75-80 RPM.. I know I need to be very patient and make my tandem riding conform to her comfort level. If she's happy, I'm happy!
I'm wondering, how long it took before you and your stoker became comfortable riding together? Was there a moment when it all came together? You know a ride when you're both in the zone and riding as one! Any advise or recommendations?