View Single Post
Old 02-18-13, 08:37 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The fact that there is almost no difference between the 1908 bike and the 2013 bike is the fact that the international racing dictators wont allow the bike to change. To me it kind of like keeping firemen on diesel engine trains.
You do have a point about racing organizations, but in the examples shown, it was more that a particular bike model was chosen that was intended to look like the old bike. There are currently many bikes available that bear little resemblance to the old 1908 Raleigh. Even the upright diamond frame bikes that you dislike but which work so well for many of us have changed quite a bit. Put a Specialized McLaren Venge in that comparison and tell me things haven't changed. But current bike design also includes many variations of recumbents, trikes and other types.
Maybe the biggest change over the 105 years is the great variety of bicycle designs now available. I see that trend continuing into the future.