Thread: Ready to race?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-13, 01:22 PM
Jandro 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bumping drills are amazing. I was first introduced to them in track clinics and they do wonders.

In one of my first crits, I was at the front going into a wiiiiide right hand turn at around 23mph (out - in - out). There was a guy on the outside of me that decided he wanted to go out - in - in. I have no idea why, maybe he zoned out, but instead of following the line back out to the opposite curb from the apex, he basically rode right into my lefthand side. I felt him and saw him out of my peripheral vision right before contact and was able to just sort of relax, lean into him, and sort of lightly push him off of me. No fuss, no muss, and I didn't feel out of control at any point. No crash but I think it spooked him - I didn't see him for the rest of the race.

In my limited experience (10 races) there have been just as many crashes in road races as crits. The road race ones seemed worse - thankfully I wasn't in any of them and most happened behind me.

Not trying to discourage you, though. Go race. It's ridiculously fun and anything you can do to increase your bike handling skills will pay off immensely.