eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
old large erd 700c rim and tire choice

backstory: i'm building up my new '84 club fuji that came with mismatched 700c rims (one was gold colored), so i placed a cl advert for a silver colored rim. i thought i scored a great deal with a reply for two shimano 600 hubs laced to ambrosio 19 extra elite rims (36h). the hubs are just beautiful and the built up wheels are true and seemed a perfect match for this build. i also scored an ebay auction of my first ever set of folding panaracer paselas to mount on this wheelset.

problem: the rims seem to be big in diameter. i don't know the erd, but when i compare the wheels to both 27" and 700c wheels, the ambrosios fall somewhere in between. i swapped the front ambrosio wheel with two different bikes (with these two different wheel sizes) and found that the ambrosios would work with the brake reach on both bikes with a little adjustment in the brake pad. when the ambrosios are placed in the intended fuji with shimano 600 calipers, the reach barely works with the pad all the way toward to the top.

major issue: fitting the folding paselas is one of the most difficult things i've ever done. i don't know what labor during birth is like, but now i can guess. it's just not worth it. at first, i thought these new tires were mislabeled defectives and asked the ebay seller about them. he assured me they were good, but very tght fitting. i love the idea of using these tires, but i can't imagine having to change a flat on the road. i've gone through two tubes, two tire levers, successfully mounted only one tire so far, and have almost run out of patience.

questions: what gum sidewall tire would be a better choice? should i just man up and go to war with this rim/tire combo? would the cheaper nonfolding pasela be easier to mount? can you suggest another gum sidewall tire in this price range that would give me more confidence in changing a flat on the road? is it possible to mount and successfully ride the folding pasela in the 27" size on this rim? should i question greater meanings like my own existence and everything i've done to date? can anything be overcome, or are there dead ends where all hope is lost?

thank you in advance for your guidance and exceptional mentoring capabilities, good people of the forum.