View Single Post
Old 03-18-13, 03:13 AM
rick99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I would invest in a Centaur 10 speed FD. You didn't mention what year and model of 10 speed shifters you have. If you have 2011+ powershift levers, they will be very limited in trimming ability, but if set up properly, you should only have to use one trim click when you're in the little ring.

If you have ultrashift levers, or pre-2009 shifters, then you have many more clicks available, but you should never need more than four and a prefect setup only uses three clicks. The need for trimming should be minimal. Typically, you might use one click when you're on the big ring and trim the FD to the left, when using 2-3 of the largest cogs. From the little ring, you might need to trim the FD to the right, to use the smallest 2-3 cogs. You should never use the two extremes - big/big or small/small.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not a total buffoon (!) riding across the block all the time but as i said before have to trim surprisingly often when on the large chainring. The shifters are 2012 veloce powershift. In any case I'm going to go with a new centaur FD as advised and pay careful attention to it's set up......incidentally, there's no triple in sight..not sure why that's come up. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by rick99; 03-18-13 at 03:17 AM.