Old 04-29-13, 05:16 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Have you ever ridden a bicycle in N America? I'm fairly sure there's a difference as compared to riding a bike in Copenhagen. JMO But I suspect that dealing with N American drivers/vehicle traffic is a bit more hazardous than dealing with traffic in European countries. again JMO...
I'm perfectly aware that biking in the USA is more dangerous than in Copenhagen - about four to ten times as dangerous, I believe (the numbers I've seen vary). However, biking is beneficial to your health - more so than riding a car. In fact, so beneficial as to even out the accident risk. (at least if Danish numbers are to be trusted as I remember them. Here, it VERY much more than just evens out etc.)

What's relevant to the thread is that helmets will probably only be really helpfull at relatively slow speed impacts. Only in rare cases will they save your life. (But we've been over that issue ad nauseam) Again and again I've been told that American cyclists ride very fast compared to Europeans. (on average, it's true, I'm sure)

Well, all in all: what's the point, then, in those campaigns?