Old 05-02-13, 09:56 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by f33dback
Would make sense, as the seller was originally from Belgium. I'll check those out! thanks!

Another point of interest is that the higher end (Italian) bikes often have 2 water bottle slots, + sometimes a third one for the pump. The one I have only has one bottle slot. However, I also noticed that the rear drop out on the higher end bikes have springs, which mine has, and as those springs had paint on them. I figured the paint job was done prior to outfitting new gear on it.
That's not so much an indication of quality, but more of age; your bike has the over-top-BB-cable guides that came into fashion in the '70s and went out of fashion in the '80s (very broadly speaking). Water bottle bosses were introduced around the same time period and it became more typical to have double bottles in the '80s, as well as other braze-ons like a pump peg, chain hanger on the chainstay and a front derailleur tab...again, these are generalities. Plenty of earlier ('60s) frames also used pump pegs, but these were a different style to the simple "bump" behind the head tube.
Your frame has details that would place it sometime in the mid-to-late '70s, but could even go into the early '80s.
Sounds like the adjuster screws were not removed from the drop-outs prior to repainting...kind of slipshod work.