View Single Post
Old 09-09-05, 09:24 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sydney_A_Muppet
He is very humourous , a true parody of techno-weenies everywhere. Lot's of bike shops have their very own caricature of Sydney. Derisive, insulting, and quick to demean others. For decades, the Sydney's in the bike biz called anybody who wasn't one of them, "Freds"

Like if you had a kickstand on your bike, you were a "FRED". If you wore a helmet , if your handlebars were higher than your seat, if you brought your lock on a bike ride, if you didn't use Alfredo Binda leather toe straps and Benotto handlebar tape, You were a "FRED" .

Sydneys have always been around to insult others for not knowing what they know, for not being like them. This one just substitutes the word "Muppets" for "FRED" .

Many of the smarter, better educated and less greasy Sydneys have moved on to better paying hobbies and industries now though.

Sydney-itis afflicts many in the computer helpdesk and network field.
Computer technical forums are literally swarming with Sydneys. Their favorite word is "RTFM"
whenever anybody asks a question they consider beneath them they spout "Read the F***ing Manual" like a mantra.

This Sydney here is just another example of an overposting technoclown whose main purpose is to entertain us. Enjoy him.

In my shop the guys used to call them "knobs", but most of those guys were surfers and they have their own language.

As to the moving on to better-paying industries, I sometimes suspect it's the low pay in the bike biz that fuels the contankerousness; I certainly wasn't happy in that economic bracket!

BTW, its sydney, not Sydney...