Old 09-09-05, 02:05 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I asked for people's opinions and I certainly got them.

I am also getting, unasked for, a thorough schooling in issues of respect, social alienation, insight into my guilty conscience, and the chance that I am driving women out of the sport of cycling. Chill out folks! I just can't quite understand why a little comment like this, delivered in a fun and happy way, it such a threat and insult, or warrents such vigorous responses from everybody. You would think I was saying you shouldn't wear helmets or something. I would have been content with, "No, I don't think that would make me, as a woman, feel good."

I am a respectful, responsible, and nice person. I go out of my way to be friendly and helpful. I don't slober, leer, or loom over these poor victims of my inappropriate sexist comments. I'm not interested in even striking up a conversation, I'm just riding on by. Have we, as a community, reached a point where a male has to worry that a woman will take offence if you are riding down the same street and turn on the same corner (previous post), look at a butt, or can't pass her so follow behind? Or offer a compliment? This reminds me a bit of my days in grad school where the Women's Studies people would rip into someone for holding a door open for a woman...

Sigh. You may now rest assured that the threat to women in cycling, as represented by my disturbing behavior, has ceased to be an issue. I swear I will never say that again. It's eyes on the road and keep my comments to myself for now on.