Old 06-08-13, 01:00 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Training diaries and riding logs

First, please leave the negative comments out of this, I respect that some riders don't like anything that is beyond pedaling and seeing the area as they ride, I enjoy that too. I am simply looking to see what others that do use these aides are recording and if it helps them with their training and rides. Respect that some riders like to have this information to help them, please, I need all the fitness and health data, about me, for my doctors. If your thing is criticizing what I am asking and want to leave a negative comment I have no control over that, just remember what it looks like to act immature.

I use the Joe Friel's, "The Cyclist Training Diary" and I also know of the diary that Bicycling Magazine publishes. The set up of Friel's diary is convenient for me to use and is straight forward, I don't use the Zone Training aspect as I don't have an HR monitor, yet. The fitness data, such as resting HR, weight, resting BP, avg, heart rate are helpful for my tracking things for my doctors' use in treating my renal failure and my recovery from the surgeries, that is a big reason that I keep the diary. My physicians like being able to look at the HR and BP on a daily basis and what I am doing or eating (I log what each meal and the one daily snack contain.) The mileage log and pace are good to see for trends in my speed/pace and the mileage per week.

I also log on the Endomondo web site for their statistics over the day, week, month and year and the graphs they provide so I get a visual of my progress or lack of same. The ability to see what things look like from a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis helps me with my management and training very much. I do not use the sat tracking feature though I do have the app on my phone for that if I want to start. Strava doesn't seem to be for me, just don't care for it personally, I know many here love the features and get a lot out of its use, great for everyone that does! I combine the written diary with the input in Endomondo to complete my picture of my fitness and how my riding is progressing or should be failing with this method.

What method or diary do others here use? Are many using a spread sheet that you set up on Excel yourself or got from someone? Do you like Strava, Endomondo, Map my Ride or another on-line or SatNav tracking program or application? If you use a power meter tell how you integrate that into a logging or diary format so you can refer to the information and data. If you use the Sat/Nav type combined with a GPs, such as a Garmin, and their proprietary site or software, how do you use that data (climbing, descending, mileage, etc.) for your planning and training.

It will be neat to see and, learn from others here that like to track the training and their fitness/health,by what ever methods we have adopted. If you don't want/like to keep any information and just like to take a ride, that is great with me and, I am sure, everyone else here that does enjoy this activity. It actually takes very little time for me to log things and input at Endomondo, it has become just routine for me. Looking forward to learning more about what others. are doing.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13