View Single Post
Old 06-13-13, 12:31 AM
creonte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
When I bought my Giant OCR C2 6 years ago, I was year into this bike thing, fat and still getting into any kind of real shape.

Still too fat but, within my physically imposed limits, I wouldn't dare question my conditioning.
Still need that triple + 28t to get up the long, steep ones, though, dammit.

So, now it's summer, 6 years down the road (heh) and a gentleman's mind turns to a new steed and I've noticed that triples seem to be disappearing from everyone's lines - on bikes I would ride, anyway. Go compact, say you? If I can barely push a 30T/28t up a long 10%, what chance have I with a 34T/28t? Rumor has it that Shimano now offers a 30t cassette, not that I've seen any. But if I could find one, I could get a compact and replace the stock cassette. Hmmm..

But then, as if from the skies, above, I see that Felt and BMC (I hear they're pretty good frames) offer just that... the new bike of my dreams: a 50/34 up front and a 12-30 in the rear. Ultegra, no less!

I think I hear the drumming...
I went from a triple 48/38/28 to 50/34 with a 12-32t 2013 Fuji 1.1c Sportif. I hit some heavy hills that I used to slog up in my 28 with absolutely zero issues. In fact, I went up one particular hill with the 32t still in reserve.