View Single Post
Old 06-13-13, 04:21 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to remember is that if you have hills you need low gears and SKT has hills. A Compact double would work but to get anywhere near the low gear on a triple he would need a large 12/34 or 32 rear cassette and that would also require a longer chain and a long reach rear derailleur. To convert a double crank to a Triple would require a new Crank set and a front derailleur and possibly gear changers. Neither would be cheap so if N+1 is involved it would be economic to get the bike that has a triple in the first place OR arrange with the LBS to convert before purchase at a nominal charge (OR FREE).

I do ride a compact that can have 34/30 as my lowest gear and I am used to hills but it is easier with 30/30 as on the triple for those long hills with 20% grades.

But it is true that come the steep hills and you will use the lowest gear fitted to the bike. Whether that be 30/30 or 34/28. Neither seems to be harder till later in the ride when you find out how much energy you have used up with the higher gearing.

Spike Milligan