Old 06-16-13, 09:25 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,460 Posts
I have not had a problem getting exactly what I wanted from the "better" bay area bike shops that included swapping out a double for a triple and the exact cassette I wanted for a new bike that was in stock. Of course, that meant that the equipment was available and fits. I do not keep up with the BB Right / BB30 and etc although it may limit crankset choices. Also, my favorite LBS told me that 11 speed is getting more traction. We discussed electronic shifting and the new D/A electronic shifting only works with 11 speed cassettes. Also, all my 10 speed wheels will have to be converted to 11 speed at a significant cost.

I was on OLH yesterday and there were more cyclists climbing and descending than I have ever seen - all sizes, ages, bikes and gearing. The road has been repaved and it is a joy to climb plus it meanders through the redwoods and may be the best and most scenic climb in the bay area. It is not that difficult and certainly not as difficult as Sierra Road, Mount Tam and many others that feature longer, steeper terrain.