View Single Post
Old 06-16-13, 10:03 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did a ride today and took the TCR with a triple and a 12/30 cassette. Only one hill and it is daunting and I sailed up it with ease. Took it steady as plenty of riders in the way so you could not get speed up.

As I said to the riders walking that were younger than me and running compacts--"I like my Triple" I like gloating.

Only a couple of years ago and I used a compact 50/34 and 12/27 on this hill and managed it but today with the triple was definitely well within my capabilities. And a few more years ago and I walked with a compact and 12/25.

But on that ride there were fit riders using standard cranks and close ratio cassettes that did the hill easier than me. There were also lightweight MTB's with slicks- 42/32/22 and 11/34 as gearing that were being walked up the hill. Look at your own fitness and see what you require. I know what I can get away with (50/34 and 12/27) on our local hills but "Extra hills" or steeper ones and "I like my triple".

Spike Milligan